Gaming sure has evolved, from the days of Pong, Duck Hunt, and Pac-Man, when competing meant that you would need to have the top score at the local gaming center.
Pro gamers today are competing around the world, winning millions of money at events like the Major League Game (MLG) circuit, the International Dota 2 championship, and Intel Extreme Masters.
Gaming really is a serious business.
So, for you to become a serious pro gamer, what exactly is it going to take you? First off, some dedication.
If you want to play games for a living, it might sound easy, but it really isn’t as rosy as it might seem. You would need some dedicated time, skill, and determination to be able to come out victorious in this haze of gaming circuits. Here are a few things you would need to do.
- Pick a game: Using Xbox Live, you have the ability to practice and compete all day with and against every skilled player online. You do not have to just randomly find people and play against them, you have to look for a game that you know you are good at and become very skilled at playing it.
Once you know that you have found that game that you excel at playing, then you would need to make a name for yourself, first as a single player, then as a team player.
- Stay Motivated: It is not easy to stay motivated, but remember why you started in the first place, because to love gaming, and maybe because of the money, whatever it is, find your motivator and stick with it.
- Practice: Study the best techniques, be a witness to a ton of gameplay, and learn just how to lose. Lose, you say? Even in losing, you are getting better, you are becoming aware of your weaknesses and your strengths, and you are practicing until you become perfect at what you do. Practise is best done with computers with a very fast processor. Getting an LGA 1155 CPU for gaming will surely help
- Gear up: You would need to be equipped with all the necessary tools that will help you better compete with other gamers. You might want to opt for the hottest PC, but what you should really be interested in is getting a PC that has a good performance and suits your needs.
- Join a Community: As much as being a pro gamer is about building your skill as an individual player, you would also have to learn to be a community and team player. Before you join any community, you would need to know the rules of becoming a part of one.